When your ex wants to move your kids out of state

One of the major concerns of any divorced parent is that his or her ex-spouse will decide to move out of state and take the children with them. This obviously threatens your relationship with your children, as you won’t be able to get to them as quickly as your once were. In this situation, your best option will be to seek our a family law attorney to help you take steps to prevent your children from being moved away from you.

Before a divorced parent can do anything that may violate a court-ordered parenting plan, he or she must prepare and submit a written notice to the other parent as well as the court. This notice must be delivered at least 60 days prior to enacting the violation, meaning you should get this notice at least two months before your ex moves away. The notice should include the following information:

  • Address and phone number of the new residence
  • Reason for the move
  • Proposed parenting schedule

Usually, a judge will make determinations in these situations based on which parent has primary custody. If custody is split, a judge will look at other factors before ruling.

At Alexander & Associates, we make it our priority to fight for what is best for you and your family. We want you to know that we can represent you in a variety of cases, and we will devote our experience and skill to protecting your interests. Call us today at (972) 420-6560 to discuss your case.