Long Distance Parenting Plans

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for one or both individuals to move away to separate cities. When children are in the picture, however, the situation can be challenging for everyone involved. Accordingly, effort by both parents must be put forward in order to keep their parent-child relationships strong.

If your child is living across the country or even across the world, routine communication is crucial to maintaining a positive, stable relationship. If, for whatever reason, you are unable to accommodate your child in your place of living, there are legal actions that you can take so that you can still remain involved in their life.

Creating a Legally Binding Parenting Plan

The first step in the process of creating an agreeable parenting plan is deciding what you want, such as planning out what specific times you would like to see your child. There are many factors involved in the process to creating a legally binding parenting plan, whether long distance or not such as the following:

  • Clarify assumptions, like the child’s schooling.
  • Negotiate with your ex-spouse, have a mediator present, if needed.
  • An attorney confides in and compiles a final agreement.
  • Both parents sign the agreement.
  • The agreement is taken to court.

Remaining on good, or at least civil terms with your child’s other parent will likely boost your chances of getting what you want; the more you can both agree on before appearing in court, the better. Additionally, keep in mind that the agreement you both initially sign is not legally binding and is only a good faith agreement until it is taken to court. Once it becomes a final court order by the judge, it is enforceable by schools, law enforcement, etc.

Contact a Lewisville Family Attorney

If you or someone you know is experiencing difficulties in child visitation or has any concerns regarding the divorce process, a Lewisville family attorney at Alexander & Associates will be able to help. Contact our offices at (972) 420-6560 if you would like to discuss your situation with an experienced family attorney.